By Julian De La Torre
Moisture, poor soil conditions and extreme weather can damage a foundation. Indicators of foundation problems include sticky doors and windows, wall cracks and sloping floors.
There are many ways to fix a foundation. Filling foundation cracks is always a good first step, but other types of repair may also be needed, including additional support like bolts, piles and piers.
A foundation repair contractor is the best person to resolve foundation issues. Not only will a foundation expert have the knowledge and skills to properly repair the foundation, he’ll also have the right equipment.
Choosing a good foundation specialist is important. Here are some tips on how to hire the best person for the job:
1. Make sure the contractor is licensed. Licensing requirements include both experience and know-how.
2. A professional foundation repair contractor should also be licensed and bonded.
3. Check how long the contractor has been working in your area or region. A local contractor will know the building codes for your location, and what could be causing the problem you are having with your foundation (weather, soil conditions, etc.).
4. Ask how long the contractor has specifically been doing foundation repair work.
5. The contractor you hire should also have experience in all areas of foundation repair.
6. An experienced foundation contractor will also be able to find the source of the problem and discuss all of your repair options.
When hiring a foundation repair contractor, ask for a proposal detailing all of the work that will need to done, along with pricing. When reviewing the proposal, look for any hidden fees or charges. If you get more than one proposal and there are significant differences between bids, keep asking questions until you understand why.
And remember to ask for references. When you contact former customers, ask them about the quality of the work that was done and if they were happy with the results.
Following these simple steps when hiring a contractor will ensure your foundation is repaired properly.
Julian De La Torre, expert in Los Angeles foundation inspection, foundation repair and foundation contractors (Los Angeles) and founder of Julian Construction (http://www.julianconstruction.com) in Los Angeles, has inspected over 15,000 structures, working with engineering firms & local departments of building & safety. The company has done more foundation repair (Los Angeles) than any other company in the area over the last five years (http://julianconstruction.com/services/foundation-repair/). Julian Construction owns its own company and is a “no middlemen” model–no salesmen or subcontractors–you get the principals of the company & its workers under your home. Learn more about Julian Construction and Los Angeles foundation repair at http://losangelesfoundationrepair.us/. See their video on the importance of foundation repair https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzSlYxjZ6Q0&t=2s